Nuwe Lewe Tygerberg is a bilingual (English/Afrikaans) Christian church in Welgemoed, Tygerberg. Our Sunday morning services are held in the school hall at Welgemoed Primary School (Jip De Jager Dr, Welgemoed) at 09h00.
People of all ages are invited to join us in worship and to hear the truth of God expounded and explained.
What we believe
Our Statement of Faith
We believe that the BIBLE is YOUR WORD, written by people, but inspired by the Holy Spirit.
We believe that You are the creator of heaven and earth, and that You sustain all.
- We believe that You were conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary.
- We believe that You suffered and died on the cross for the forgiveness of our sins.
- We believe that You rose from the grave and that you thereby conquered death for us.
- We believe that You have overcome evil and sin so that we may now live as conquerors.
- We believe that You now intercede for us with the Father.
- We believe that You still perform miracles to this day.
- We believe that You want to baptise and fill us with Your Spirit.
- We believe that You will come again to judge the unbelieving, but that those who believe in You will inherit eternal life.
- We believe that You are sent by the Father to live in us.
- We believe in You as our Comforter and the ONE who desires to lead us in Truth.
- We believe it is Your will to govern and fill our lives.
- We believe that You provide us with gifts which we should use to build up, establish and comfort the church.
- We believe that Your fruit must be visible in our lives.
- Jesus Christ, we believe that You are the head of Your church.
- We believe that we who have faith in You, Lord Jesus, as our Saviour, are grafted into Your Church.
- We believe that you send Your Church to proclaim and demonstrate Your Kingdom.
- We believe that the office of elder exists in order to guide the congregation spiritually.
- We believe in the fivefold ministry which was given by Christ to build and equip the body for service.
- We believe that You instructed us to assemble together to give You praise and to worship You.
- We believe in the functioning of the gifts of the Holy Spirit and we believe that we are called to serve one another with these gifts.
We believe that You gave us the believers baptism as a representation of the washing away of sins; the death of the old man and the resurrection of the new man.
HOLY COMMUNION / WINE AND BREAD
- We believe that you instituted the practice of Communion as a reminder of Your death and the forgiveness of our sins.
- We believe that You are present when Communion is used.
- We believe that You work powerfully in us when we use Communion.
We believe that you have instituted marriage between a man and a woman and that the relationship between Christ and His church serves as an example for marriage.
We acknowledge you as the provider of all that we own and that we are called upon to honour you therein.
Our Vision is to make disciples of Jesus Christ:
“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptising them
in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
Our Mission is to make disciples through:
Love for God: through worship, the Word and the discipleship of new believers.
Love for your neighbour: through small groups, charity and service.
Love for the world: through outreaches.
We believe Jesus Christ is the Head of His church. He is the example of a leader who came to serve others.
The Word is clear that leadership is a gift from God (Romans 12:8) and it must fulfil its legitimate function in the body. (1 Corinthians 12:12-18).
Elders to lead
Wherever Paul planted churches, he appointed elders to lead the church. (Titus 1:5-9, 1 Timothy 3:1-7). This is why Nuwe Lewe’s elders are in a position of spiritual leadership in the congregation.
Our management team consists of the chief executive pastor and various ministry leaders. The latter are responsible for daily management of the church.
Pastor and ministry leaders
Chief Executive Pastor: Hansa Underhay
I grew up on a farm in the Platteland and I have felt the Lord’s presence since childhood. When I was 16 years old, I experienced a radical change in my life, I had an encounter with Jesus where He called me into ministry. I went into ministry directly after school and joined a music school which serves at churches and schools across South Africa as well as overseas. During that time, I studied theology at Global University. I worked in Stellenbosch for 3 years at Stellenbosch Congregation. After that, I worked at Stellenberg Church for 3 years, leading the music and youth ministry. In 2007 I joined Familia Christi in Welgemoed as youth pastor. I have served as a pastor at Nuwe Lewe Tygerberg since 2010.
I met my wife Marika in 2006 and we married in 2007. The Lord blessed us with two boys, Hansa Jr. and Josua. We have a passion to see God’s Kingdom come and to make disciples of Jesus.
Tel: 082 670 1284